Tuesday, February 17, 2015

God - The Portion for Righteous Man


(I gave this sermon on 17-2-2015 in Danish Mission Hospital, Thirukoilur)

A Psalm of Asaph. Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek. They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind. Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment. Their eyes swell out through fatness; their hearts overflow with follies. They scoff and speak with malice; loftily they threaten oppression. They set their mouths against the heavens, and their tongue struts through the earth. Therefore his people turn back to them, and find no fault in them. And they say, "How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?" Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence. For all the day long I have been stricken and rebuked every morning. If I had said, "I will speak thus," I would have betrayed the generation of your children. But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! Like a dream when one awakes, O Lord, when you rouse yourself, you despise them as phantoms. When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you. Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.
(Psa 73:1-28)

I will divide my sermon into three topics, Exposition of Psalms, Doctrine and Practical Application.

Exposition:

The psalmist is a righteous man who has written this psalm from his perspective. He sees the lives of two types of people, an upright man and an unrighteous sinner. The unrighteous man is always proud (v.6) with all types of riches and wealth (v.12). Inspite of all these blessings he never thanks God or honour Him rather, he mocks at God (v.11). Even then he still never has any sufferings in this world (v.4,7).

But the psalmist is an upright and holy man of God (v.13), yet he is struggling with many sufferings (v.14). So he is actually envious of the unbeliever (v.3)

When he sees this from the Sanctuary of God (v.17), he understood the end of the evil men. God has kept them in a slippery slope (v.18-20) and they will be destroyed by God. Then the righteous psalmist realised his folly of envying the unbeliever and he was praising God for being his portion and strength for him (v.23,26)

Doctrine:
a)      God is sovereign over both believers and unbelievers:
God controls everything He has created. He upholds the universe by His word (Heb 1:3). So God is in control of the life of both believers and unbelievers.

b)      God is in control of both riches and poverty for His glory:

I am going to show you three examples how God can use both riches for destruction of a person and poverty for blessing a person.

First is the example of rich man and poor Lazarus. Rich man had all the wealth and comfort with all the pomp in this world. But his end was a miserable one since he was not upright. Whereas poor Lazarus, though he was poor in this world, yet he was a righteous man thus when he died, he entered heaven and was with God. Another instance is the story of Haman in Esther. God used Haman’s wealth for his own destruction (Est 9:12). Here we see that the earthly comfort which the evil men have is not good before God but rather they are for bringing destruction to evil people.

God can use poverty as a means of blessing for an elect. Job lost all his wealth and his health yet God used that for testing the faith of Job. Bible says in Rom 5:3-5: More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Rom 5:3-5). In other words, trials for a Christian is good and it will make him even more holy and upright before the Lord and ultimately will glorify God.

Conclusion:

Riches and Poverty doesn’t determine blessedness. Only righteousness is considered as blessed by God:

If you are in Christ, if you are a child of God, even if you are suffering, that is ultimately for your good. If you are having worldly blessings like good health, wealth and prosperity and you are a believer, then it is your responsibility to use that worldly blessing for God’s glory. Ultimately, in front of God’s eyes, righteous man is the blessed man and only he would inherit the heavenly kingdom. He may be poor and miserable in this earth but he would eventually be satisfied by God in Heaven. So to be blessed, we have to be righteous. Let us seek God’s righteousness and seek to glorify him to the utmost.



No comments:

Post a Comment