Sunday, July 13, 2014

Is it Ethical to practice Euthanasia?

Euthanasia refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to alleviate pain and suffering. It has been made legal in some countries like Belgium and Netherlands. Do we have the right to take another man’s life just to reduce pain?

There are many congenital and chromosomal anomalies which can result in Fetal malformations. Some diseases like anencephaly are too complicated that there is almost 0% chance that they would survive after birth. In such case, is it ethical to terminate such pregnancy before the heart stops beating?

Before we go on to the answer, let us remember that only through Scripture can we derive biblical ethics. And Scripture is sufficient for all the answers related to life and morality (2Tim 3:16,17)

According to Scripture, life of man starts at conception (Psa 139:13, Jer 1:5). So a fertilised ovum is fully human with a distinct body and soul, made in the image of God just like anyone else. Since the fall, all mankind has been suffering with disease and sickness. Even all these congenital malformations are all due to that. So a malformed fetus is no less human than a normal fetus.

And in Gen 9:4, God says, “"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.” Only God can take a man’s life because God created man in His image. 

And only in case of capital punishment (Rom 13:1-5), God has given men who are governing, the permission to take another man’s life.

With this in mind, let us look at another passage and compare with our present scenario:

David said to him, "Where do you come from?" And he said to him, "I have escaped from the camp of Israel." And David said to him, "How did it go? Tell me." And he answered, "The people fled from the battle, and also many of the people have fallen and are dead, and Saul and his son Jonathan are also dead." Then David said to the young man who told him, "How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?" And the young man who told him said, "By chance I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and there was Saul leaning on his spear, and behold, the chariots and the horsemen were close upon him. And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called to me. And I answered, 'Here I am.' And he said to me, 'Who are you?' I answered him, 'I am an Amalekite.' And he said to me 'Stand beside me and kill me, for anguish has seized me, and yet my life still lingers.' So I stood beside him and killed him, because I was sure that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown that was on his head and the armlet that was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord." Then David took hold of his clothes and tore them, and so did all the men who were with him. And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and for Jonathan his son and for the people of the LORD and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword. And David said to the young man who told him, "Where do you come from?" And he answered, "I am the son of a sojourner, an Amalekite." David said to him, "How is it you were not afraid to put out your hand to destroy the LORD's anointed?" Then David called one of the young men and said, "Go, execute him." And he struck him down so that he died. And David said to him, "Your blood be on your head, for your own mouth has testified against you, saying, 'I have killed the LORD's anointed.'"
(2Sa 1:3-16)

If you look at the previous chapter, Saul was mortally wounded and he committed suicide. Though the 
incident which was told by Amalekite was a made-up story, let us look at verse 9,10: And he said to me 

'Stand beside me and kill me, for anguish has seized me, and yet my life still lingers.' So I stood beside him and killed him, because I was sure that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown that was on his head and the armlet that was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord." (2Sa 1:9-10)

He ‘took’ the life of Saul to alleviate his sufferings. He would have been the first to give euthanasia if this story were true. But David punished him with capital punishment because he killed a man who was made in the image of God, who was also anointed by God.

So it is unethical to take another man’s life even if he is suffering from pain because God has not given us authority to take another man’s life to relieve his pain. Even if the patient willingly gives permission to take his life, doctors have no authority to take his life, because God created man and only God has the right to take his life. So euthanasia is unethical. In case of fetal malformations also, the same principle applies. We can terminate the pregnancy only if the fetal heartbeat stops spontaneously, because if we do so before that, then it is murder no matter how noble our intentions are.

If you have liked this, you can also read Can a Christian practice Yoga?

No comments:

Post a Comment